Question

Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking Norco?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    While you're taking the pain relief medication Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if the drug makes you drowsy, dizzy or affects your vision. Do not drink, because alcohol can increase the chance of serious side effects, including breathing problems and even death. Plus, you should avoid taking other medicines that contain acetaminophen while taking Norco, so that you don't get too much of this drug in your system. Too much acetaminophen can cause liver damage, and even be fatal. In addition, avoid taking Norco with any of the following:
    • central nervous system (CNS) depressants
    • monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
    • alvimopan
    • imatinib
    • the supplements valerian, St. John's wort, SAMe and kava kava
    Tell your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter drugs and supplements you take.

Women should avoid breastfeeding or becoming pregnant while taking Norco, since the drug may harm a nursing infant or developing fetus.
When can I stop taking Norco?