Question

Alcohol & Health

How do you treat a hangover?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Treating a hangover

Water, aspirin, and exercise can help a person recover from a hangover. Learn more on this topic in this video of Dr. Oz and Jimmy Fallon.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ANeal Spruce, Fitness, answered on behalf of dotFIT
    Hangover cures are mostly wishful thinking or personal if someone feels that something works for him or her. There is only one tried and true hangover reliever, and although I doubt you would be in a state to remember, take two aspirin with a pint of water when going to bed and repeat the process upon waking. That's the standard no-brainer.

Below is an extended program that dramatically enhances the standard no-brainer, especially if you are not working on the day of the hangover. Otherwise, work in what you can based on your schedule:
    • First, if possible, eat a meal before bedtime and take a multivitamin and mineral formula (MVM).
    • Second, after rising and again taking two aspirin, eat something that appeals to you, take another MVM and have one to three cups of strong coffee (caffeine can increase the effects of aspirin and vice-versa).
    • Third, rest for two hours and then consume a pre-workout shake.
    • Last, 20 to 30 minutes after you had a shake, go exercise. I know it sounds tough, but do it. After exercising you will be amazed at how good you feel thanks to the endorphins and adrenalin that are released.
    So there you have it -- this is the maximum guaranteed relief method. It can't cure a hangover, but it will certainly get you to forget about it and almost feel normal -- and perfect the next day (but that's not an excuse to drink too much again).

Note: Alcohol depletes your body and brain of vitamins and minerals because they are needed to metabolize the alcohol quickly, which can't be stored like foods. This, of course, is why alcohol gets you high and foods don’t. Once in the blood, alcohol must be cleared before it reaches toxic levels. Since there is nowhere to put the excess, it's burned as energy but not as fast as it generally comes in -- hence the "buzz." It takes many different enzyme systems that require vitamins and minerals to function in order to metabolize/clear the alcohol, leaving the rest of your body partially depleted, which adds to the hangover.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What foods should I eat when I have a hangover?