Question

Alcohol & Health

Why does my heart beat faster when I drink alcohol?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Alcohol and Heart Rate
    Drinking alcohol can cause the heart rate to speed up. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what may be causing a racing heartbeat after drinking.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • AWestby Fisher, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    Alcohol is a diuretic. As such, it causes people to lose intravascular volume. In response to this drop in volume, the heart increases its flow by first increasing the force of contraction with each heartbeat, then later by increasing the heart rate to make sure blood pressure is maintained.
I know beer is given out at running events. Is it a good sports beverage?