Question

Alcohol & Health

Why does my heart beat faster when I drink alcohol?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Alcohol and Heart Rate
    Drinking alcohol can cause the heart rate to speed up. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what may be causing a racing heartbeat after drinking.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • Maximum heart rate varies for everyone. To get a general idea of how your heart may perform, take 220 and subtract your age. This gives a rough estimate of your maximum heart rate. While exercising, you will most likely never reach this number. During exercise we can reach anywhere from <60-95% of our maximum heart rate depending on the intensity.

• AWestby Fisher, Cardiac Electrophysiology, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    Alcohol is a diuretic. As such, it causes people to lose intravascular volume. In response to this drop in volume, the heart increases its flow by first increasing the force of contraction with each heartbeat, then later by increasing the heart rate to make sure blood pressure is maintained.
I know beer is given out at running events. Is it a good sports beverage?