Question

Aging & Fitness

How can I motivate a senior citizen to exercise?

• I recommend using a 5-step process to get senior citizens to exercise more:

1. Clarify their vision or goal. Those who have a clear sense of what they want achieve more.
    2. Come up with a strategy. Learn senior citizens short and long-term goals then align these goals with their priorities to develop a plan of action. Tackle small
      goal goals that build to the final goal.
    3. Develop self-confidence and self-efficacy by completing small goals and drawing from that success.
    4. Encourage and develop persistence. Exercise everyday can lead to lifestyle change and habit forming. Persistence can also be helped with fighting boredom. Make exercise fun and change it up.
    5. Always promote learning. Have the senior citizen self-monitor to identify progress and performance changes.
  • AAnthony Cirillo, Gerontology, answered
    Some ways to keep seniors motivated to exercise include: focusing on small accomplishments rather than lofty goals; using exercise time as social time; and using a bathroom scale to track progress. Different methods of motivating seniors, including competitive drive, body-image issues, and health concerns, could be used to get seniors up and moving.
Does playing Wii and video games help older adults?