Some natural treatments for moderate-to-severe adrenal exhaustion are:
- Adrenal Glandular — Supplies the raw materials that your adrenal glands need to heal. It is critical however that you get them from reputable companies so that the purity and potency is guaranteed and so you can be sure that they come from cows that are not at risk of transmitting infections.
- Vitamin C — Critical for adrenal function. Your body's highest levels of vitamin C are found in the adrenal glands and brain tissues, and the urinary excretion of vitamin C is increased during stress. Optimizing vitamin C intake by taking 500-1,000 mg a day will also help immune function.
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) — Supports adrenal function. And Pantothenic acid deficiency causes shrinking of your adrenal glands. Optimal levels are approximately 100-150 mg daily, although some physicians use even higher levels for adrenal support.
- Licorice — Slows the breakdown of adrenal hormones in your body, helping to maintain optimal levels. There is no licorice in licorice candies in the US because of this. Another beneficial effect of the licorice is that it helps in treat indigestion, and is even as effective as the prescription heartburn medication Tagamet. Do not take licorice if you have high blood pressure, as too much licorice can cause excess adrenal function and worsen high blood pressure. You can safely take 200-400 mg a day of a licorice extract standardized to contain 5% glycyrrhizic acid.
- Chromium — Helps decrease the symptoms of low blood sugar. Take 200 mcg a day. If you'd rather not take these natural remedies separately, or if you want to simplify the supplementation, you can take “Adrenal Stress End” (from the company Enzymatic Therapy). Take 1-2 capsules in the morning. If symptoms recur in the afternoon, add another capsule at lunch. Adrenal Stress End, combined with a vitamin powder called “Energy Revitalization System” (also from Enzymatic Therapy), can supply everything noted above, as well as many other nutrients that will help support adrenal function.