Question

Acne

What type of facial moisturizer should I use for oily, acne prone skin?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Some people incorrectly believe that having oily, acne-prone skin means you shouldn't use a moisturizer. However, dermatologists say that people who struggle with oily skin and acne may still require a moisturizer for their facial skin. Look for a product with the word "noncomedogenic" on the label. That means it won't clog your pores, which could worsen acne. Also, it's wise to choose a lightweight moisturizer instead of a thick cream. A good moisturizer contains sunscreen, too.

Talk with your dermatologist about the best moisturizers for acne-prone skin.     
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AYouBeauty answered
    The American Academy of Dermatology says that if you’re prone to breakouts, oil-based moisturizers and makeup can cause acne, whiteheads and blackheads. To avoid looking like a pizza-faced teenager, the organization recommends selecting products that are “non-comedogenic” or “non-acnegenic.”
  • AEllen Marmur, MD, Dermatology, answered

It's important to read your skin accurately, and if it already feels more than moisturized after washing, then skip this step. Why hydrate an already oily surface? There's no point. But if you feel slightly tight (especially if your cleanser contains salicylic acid or a drying detergent), use a water-based, lightweight lotion or gel formulation that contains more humectant ingredients (such as hyaluronic acid or glycerin) than waxy or oily emollients. It's important for you to look for the word "noncomedogenic" on the label. A comedone is a blackhead or whitehead plugging up a pore, and you certainly don't want anything that can contribute to those (namely, occlusive ingredients such as mineral oil, lanolin, or petrolatum). Don't forget sunscreen; at least wear a powder containing a titanium dioxide or zinc oxide sunblock; or try a face wash containing sunscreen ingredients.

What should I look for in a soap if I have oily skin and acne?