- Most abnormalities found during a mammogram are not breast cancer. But many women who have regular screening mammograms need more tests to investigate any abnormalities found during a mammogram. If an area of your breast tissue appears to be a concern during a mammogram, other tests such as an ul
If you are having a mental health assessment because you have specific symptoms, you may be asked to keep a diary or journal for a few days before your appointment. For some assessments, you may be asked to bring a family member or friend with you, someone who can describe your symptoms from their...Read More
A mental health assessment is done to:
- Find out about and check on mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease, and anorexia nervosa.
- Help tell the difference between mental and physical health problems.
- Evaluate a person who has been referred for mental health
The monospot test is done to help diagnose a recent mono infection.
Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) antibody testing is also done to help diagnose mono. The EBV antibody test can help determine whether you have ever been infected with the virus and whether the infection has been recent.
EBV antibody testing...Read More
Ophthalmoscopy is a test that allows a doctor to see inside the back of the eye (called the fundus) and other structures using a magnifying instrument (ophthalmoscope) and a light source.
- All of the structures inside the eye appear normal.
- The retina is detached.
This type of exam can be done with or without eyedrops.
- Your eyes may be dilated and you will be seated in a darkened room and asked to stare straight ahead at some distant spot in the room.
- Looking through the ophthalmoscope, your doctor will move very close to your face and shine
Before a Pap test:
- Try to schedule the test when you are not having your period, since blood can interfere with the results of the test. If your bleeding is light, you may still be able to have a Pap test.
- Do not use douches, tampons, vaginal medicines, sprays or powders for at least 24 hours before
A Pap test is done to look for changes in the cells of the cervix. During a Pap test, a small sample of cells from the surface of the cervix is collected by your doctor. The sample is then spread on a slide (Pap smear) or mixed in a liquid fixative (liquid-based cytology) and sent to a lab for ex...Read More
A prolactin test measures the level of the hormone prolactin, which is made by the pituitary gland, in your blood.
Pregnant women have high levels of prolactin, which helps make breast milk. During pregnancy, prolactin levels increase by 10 to 20 times. After the baby is born, prolactin stays high...Read More
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Having a lot of emotional stress or doing strenuous exercise before the test.
- Trouble sleeping. Prolactin levels are highest during sleep. So if you do not sleep well, your levels may be lower than normal.
You will most likely lie on your left side during the test. You may also be asked to kneel on the table with your bottom raised in the air.
Once you are in position:
- Your doctor will gently insert a gloved finger into your anus to check for tenderness or blockage. For men, your doctor will also check
- Follow-up tests, such as colonoscopy, may be needed after sigmoidoscopy. A colonoscopy may also be needed to examine the upper section of the colon if growths were seen during sigmoidoscopy.
- In some cases, the sigmoidoscope may be attached to a video monitor and a recording device that lets your doctor
You will probably be asked to keep a sleep diary for 1 to 2 weeks before your sleep study. Try to follow your normal sleep routine during this time so you will not be too tired or too rested for your sleep test. Do not take any naps for 2 to 3 days before your test.
Tell your doctor about any drugs...Read More