The issue of soy and isoflavone activity is in question today based on its potential effect on estrogen levels. Until more definitive research is available, 1 serving per day should be a safe level for anyone, including those who have a current or family history of estrogen-induced health issues (such as breast and ovarian cancer). If you are not at risk of these types of health issues and wish to use more soy products, 2 to 3 servings (some professionals suggest as many as 5) can be safely used. Soy foods can offer unique health benefits for most everyone when consumed daily in moderation.
Tony Trout, MD
Specialty: Family Medicine
Location and Office HoursM Anthony Trout MD
870 Orchard Hill Rd
Zanesville, OH 43701
- Genesis Health Care Bethesda
What is the amount of soy a person should have?
Helpful? 4 people found this helpful.
What is a good nutritional plan to follow?
Carol Cottrill, Nutrition & Dietetics, answeredA good nutritional plan to follow is a plan that's designed specifically for you and by you!
A balanced and sustainable eating plan is one that takes into account your lifestyle, preferences, taste, and heritage. Add to that your gender, religious considerations, current health and activity level, and your age -- now you’re well on your way to determining a diet of your own design.
And remember as your life changes, change up your diet. If, for example, you find yourself training for a marathon, your increased activity level will dictate your caloric needs. You may also require more carbohydrates for energy.
Within this hybrid approach consider these nutritional guidelines:
- Only the best: Choose the highest quality, real foods that are available to you.
- Strive for balance: Include portions of lean protein, carbohydrates (such as whole grains and sweet potatoes) vegetables and healthy fats (like olive oil, olives, avocado).
- Color your plate: Aim for a variety of colorful vegetables and you’ll be sure to meet your daily requirements without even thinking about it.
- Keep it real: Whole foods always trump processed foods. They provide the mandatory source of the vitamins and minerals that your body requires to function at an optimum level.
- Eat mindfully: By taking the time to taste, assimilate, and digest, you’ll metabolize your food efficiently.
- Portion control: Rely on internal cues to stop eating when you are satisfied rather than external cues, like a clean plate.
- Happy endings: Save room for dessert. Something sweet at the end of the meal leaves you satisfied and signifies a pleasant end to your dining experience. It also helps eliminate late night snacking!
What are some summer fitness tips?
Joel Harper - Elite Trainer, Fitness, answeredI love the summer and I all the options that it brings. Here are a few ideas:
1) Pick an activity that you have always wanted to do-tennis, golf, windsurfing, rollerblading, trapeze, jogging.. and commit to doing it one day a week for 10 weeks.
2) Go to the park alone with a frisbee or a football and find a new friend to throw it.
3) Walk. Try for a day to do all your errands and activities without driving to them.
4) Pick one activity you never thought you would do, but always wanted to and hire the expert in your area to teach you.
5) Go to the local animal shelter and walk the pets.
6) Grab a friend and find a local park and pick up the garbage. It is a great way to burn your legs. Squat when pick up the trash-act like you are going to sit in an imaginary chair.
7) Commit to a friend that each week you will do a different activity alternating who surprises the other one. Encourage each other to be creative.
Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
See all Infectious Disease questions