Shelly Agarwal, MD
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology
Location and Office HoursPronger Smith Medical Care
17495 La Grange
Tinley Park, IL 60487
How do women feel pain?
Howard S. Smith, Pain Medicine, answeredResearchers believe that for women, pain is in the nerves. For instance, in a study in which men and women are subjected to the same irritant, women usually give it a higher pain rating. When pain is chronic or long-term, women usually report insomnia, daytime sleepiness, irritability, appetite loss, muscle weakness, and depression. All of these can make it difficult, if not impossible, to do your daily tasks, including caring for your family and working outside the home.
Why do my fingernails change around the time I get my period?
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
Menstruation, or periods, can affect the fingernails. In this video, Dr. Oz explains the link between the two.
What are some reasons for a young woman to see a gynecologist?
Greenville Health System answered
Reasons to seek gynecologic care for a young person include:
See all Gynecology questions
- Menstrual periods that are very heavy or painful, causing a decrease in activities or school absences
- Itching, persistent irritation, or rashes in the genital area
- Concerns regarding anatomy or puberty
- Safe-sex practices
- Sexually transmitted disease testing
- Abdominal or pelvic pain that persists
- Human papillomavirus vaccination