Sandra N. Hannegan, MD
Location and Office HoursLow Country Dermatology Associates
Charleston, SC 29407
- BlueCross BlueShield
- Coventry Health Care
- First Health
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Tricare/Humana Military Healthcare
- United Healthcare
Does stress cause acne?
It's not your imagination -- feeling stressed does seem to cause some people to have acne flare-ups. The reason appears to be that stress causes your body to undergo changes in levels of certain hormones, which for some people may promote acne. One study in Singapore found that teens who felt the most stressed at exam time in school were 23% more likely to have severe acne.
Are there different types of eczema?
There are several types of eczema. Atopic dermatitis is the most common form. Other types include:
- allergic contact eczema, caused by touching something that you are allergic to, such as poison ivy
- contact eczema, caused by touching something irritating like a certain product or detergent
- dyshidrotic eczema, which causes irritation and blisters on hands and feet
- neurodermatitis, which causes patches of extreme itch
- nummular eczema, which causes crusty, scaly spots
- seborrheic eczema, which causes scaly patches on the face or scalp
- stasis dermatitis, which affects lower legs and is often caused by a blood flow problem
What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The lemon juice will make your skin more sensitive to UV exposure, so remember to cover up and don't forget to apply plenty of sunscreen. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
See all Plaque Psoriasis questions