You can try these steps at home to ease pelvic pain:
- Try nonprescription medicine, such as ibuprofen (for example, Advil or Motrin) or acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol).
- Try heat. Put a heating pad, a hot water bottle or a warm compress on your lower belly, or take a warm bath. Heat improves blood flow and may relieve pain.
- For back pain, lie down and elevate your legs by placing a pillow under your knees. When lying on your side, bring your knees up to your chest.
- Try relaxation techniques, such as:
- --Breathing exercises.
- --Progressive muscle relaxation.
- Exercise regularly. It improves blood flow, increases pain-relieving endorphins naturally made by the body and reduces pain.
- Try sexual activity, which may relieve pelvic cramping and backache. If your pain is related to endometriosis, though, sex may make the pain worse.
© Healthwise, Incorporated.