Ralph M Wurster, DO
Specialty: Family Medicine
Location and Office HoursFamily Health Care of Celebration
Kissimmee, FL 34747
- AvMed Health Plan
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Florida Health Care Plan
- Health First
- Humana Health Plan
- United Healthcare
- WellCare HMO
- Florida Hospital Celebration Health
- Osceola Regional Medical Center
How can I get referrals for a new doctor?
Most people rely on the recommendations of friends and relatives when trying to find a new doctor. That is a good start but it is still important to check on the doctors training, board certification, hospital appointments and disciplinary history.Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do I choose a doctor for my cancer care?
American Cancer Society answered
Going through the process of choosing a doctor can take time, and many people are tempted to rush through it to start their treatment sooner. Keep in mind, though, that most people with cancer have enough time to be sure that they get the best care possible. Ask the doctor who found your cancer whether you need to take action right away or if you can take a short but safe amount of time to check out all your options.
Carefully choosing the doctor you need now (such as a good surgeon, radiologist, and/or oncologist) will pay off for years to come. Your relationship with this person will probably last through treatment into long-term follow-up care.
Before you start looking for a doctor, think about the qualities you want your doctor to have. For instance:
- Choose a doctor who has experience with your type of cancer. Studies show that doctors have better success treating a condition if they have a lot of experience with it.
- You will probably need a doctor who is part of your health plan (often called a preferred provider) and/or accepts your health insurance. Otherwise, you may have to pay for your health care yourself. (For more on this, call us at 1-800-227-2345 for a copy of Health Insurance and Financial Assistance for the Cancer Patient, or read it at cancer.org)
- Pick a doctor who has privileges (is able to practice) at a hospital that you are willing to use. Doctors can only send patients to hospitals where they have admitting privileges.
- Choose a doctor you feel comfortable with. Languages spoken, gender, ethnicity, and educational background may be important factors for you. You may also have strong feelings about personality and bedside manner. Some people prefer their doctors to have a business-like manner, while others value a doctor who can help with their emotional health as well as their medical needs. Many people whose illnesses require long-term treatment prefer a friendly relationship with their doctor.
The next step is to schedule appointments with a few doctors. The most important question to ask them is how much experience they have in treating your type of cancer. If you are meeting with surgeons, find out how often they perform the type of surgery you need, how many of these surgeries they have performed before, and what their success rate is.
What are the advantages of choosing a compassionate doctor?
Dede Bonner, Health Education, answered
An important piece of your ability to trust a doctor is his or her interest in you as a person. This is not to suggest that you want to be ‘bosom buddies’ (sorry for the bad pun), but it shows how curious this doctor is about you as a unique person. A doctor who is open to learning new things is more likely to be more intelligent, competent, and willing to support you on a personal as well as medical basis.
Find out more about this book:The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health
See all Healthcare Basics questions