R Leonard. Carroll, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine
- internal medicine
Location and Office HoursR Leonard Carroll MD
540 W Sagamore Ave
Clewiston, FL 33440
- BlueCross Blue Shield of Florida
- BlueCross BlueShield
- Coventry Health Care
- First Health
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- United Healthcare
- Hendry Regional Medical Center
What is vesicoureteral reflux?
This is an abnormal, congenital condition where the urine from the bladder enters the kidney backwards. Normally there is a valve that prevents this from happening. In children this can lead to high fevers, kidney infections and ultimately permanent kidney injury. An xray called a voiding cystogram can diagnose the condition.
What are the complications from aortic dissection?
Allan Stewart, MD, Cardiothoracic Surgery, answered on behalf of Columbia University Department of Surgery
Type A aortic dissection is associated with many acute and chronic complications if untreated. The dissection may cause:
- Exsanguinating hemorrhage: aortic rupture causing extreme blood loss
- Aortic valve incompetence: failure of the aortic valve leading to rapid heart failure
- Coronary artery dissection: loss of blood from the coronary arteries to the heart muscle causing a heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Cardiac tamponade: accumulation of blood in the pericardium (the sac that contains the heart) leading to an inability of the heart to pump blood.
- Stroke: interruption of blood flow to the brain may cause a debilitating or fatal stroke
Aortic dissection can also cause a process known as malperfusion syndrome. Because blood flows in the walls of the aorta rather than through the vessel itself, not enough blood may reach its intended destination. This condition may cause organ failure, most frequently involving the kidneys and intestines. The result may be temporary or permanent kidney failure and intestinal injury, which may necessitate extensive bowel resection.
What are heart abnormalities?
Piedmont Heart Institute answered
A heart abnormality is any medical problem with the heart. This is a wide category of disorders, including coronary artery disease, abnormal heart rhythms, heart aneurysms, heart dissections, cardiomyopathy, heart failure, heart tumors, heart valve disorders, infective endocarditis, and pericardial disease. Heart diseases are the leading cause of death in the United States, with coronary artery disease being the most common heart abnormality.
See all Kidney Disease questions