Call your child’s doctor right away if your child has any of these problems with the cast:
• Swelling that does not get better with elevation
• Swelling of the toes that does not “pink up” after 20 minutes of raising them higher than the level of the heart
• Decreased or loss of movement in the toes
• Change in skin color below the cast
• Skin becomes red, irritated or sores develop
• Bad smell from inside the cast
• Bright red drainage on the cast
• Fever over 100.5°F for longer than 24 hours with no other symptoms
• A crack in the cast or peeling of the cast
• A wet cast that does not dry completely
• Something stuck in the cast
Also call your child’s doctor:
• If you think the brace does not fit well.
• If your child’s shoes are too tight or too loose.
• If you find any skin redness or irritation that does not go away in 1-2 days.
• Any questions or concerns you have about how your child looks or feels.