- Age: Your risk increases with age.
- Sex (gender): The risk is higher for men of any age and for women after menopause.
- Family history (heredity and race): Heart disease tends to run in families and is more common in some ethnic groups.
- Personal history: People with past heart problems have more risk.
Myron E Bednar, MD
Location and Office HoursHunterdon Regional Cancer Ctr
Flemington, NJ 08822
- AmeriHealth HMO
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Horizon HMO (BC/BS of NJ)
- Horizon NJ Health
- Oxford Health Plans
- United Healthcare
- Hunterdon Medical Center
What cardiac risk factors are out of my control?
Intermountain Healthcare answeredSome risk factors that affect your heart health cannot be changed. However, it's still important to be aware of them. Awareness gives you a chance to educate yourself -- and take measures to safeguard your health in other ways. Several of these factors are listed below.
Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Should I tell my child's school about a hemorrhaging disorder?
Piedmont Heart Institute answered
If your child has a hemorrhaging disorder, you should tell the school your child goes to. The school nurse should know that your child has the disorder in order to properly treat an injury. Also, a school nurse may be able to administer replacement therapy so that the child doesn't miss school because of frequent trips to the doctor for therapy. Otherwise, the school should understand why the child is missing school.
What happens before ambulatory telemetry begins?
Intermountain Healthcare answeredThe following may happen before an ambulatory telemetry monitoring begins:
See all Blood Basics questions
- Your doctor may do other tests. Along with a physical exam, your doctor will probably do an electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG).
- You'll get the telemetry equipment. If you can come to the hospital to pick up the equipment, a technician will attach the monitor and explain how it works. As an alternative, the equipment may be shipped to your home. If the equipment is shipped to you, you will need to call a technician once it arrives.