Michael S Cicchillo, MD
Specialty: Vascular Surgery
Location and Office HoursCTVS Cardiothoracic & Vascular Specialists
Youngstown, OH 44501
- monday: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
- tuesday: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
- wednesday: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
- thursday: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
- Forum Health Northside Hospital
- Forum Health Trumbull Memorial Hospital
What is the carotid artery?
Johns Hopkins Medicine answeredThe major arteries of the neck, called the carotid arteries, supply the brain with blood and extend from your aorta in your chest to the brain inside your skull.
What are some lifestyle changes I should make for heart health?
Lifestyle changes that should be made in order to maintain a healthy heart:
- Stop smoking
- Eat a balanced diet
- If you are overweight reduce your weight
- Become active, check with your healthcare provider to see what level of activity is right for you
- If you have high blood pressure, check with your healthcare provider to see what medications are appropriate, and reduce your intake of sodium, and become active
- Reduce your stress/anxiety
What does the term valve gradient mean?
If your doctor is talking about the health of your heart, the valve’s gradient describes the severity of the narrowing of the heart valve. It helps your healthcare team measure the amount of blood that is able to pass through the valve. It also indicates whether the “velocity” (or speed and force) of the blood flow is increased because of the pressure behind the narrowed heart valve. A leaking or regurgitating valve can also affect the pressure in both the receiving chamber and also the nearby pumping chamber as well as the nearby circulatory organs.
See all Heart and Circulatory System questions