- Men over 40 or women over 50
- History of smoking
- High blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes
- Family history of heart disease
- Inactive lifestyle
- High stress levels
Marc B. Kapner, MD
- internal medicine
Location and Office HoursMontefiore Medical Center Congestive Heart Failure Services
3400 Bainbridge Ave Ste 7
Bronx, NY 10467
- BlueCross BlueShield
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- ConnectiCare (EmblemHealth)
- Empire BlueCross BlueShield
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- MVP Health Plan
- United Healthcare
Who should have a computerized tomography (CT) heart scan?
HCA Virginia answeredIf you have two or more of the below symptoms you may be a candidate for a computerized tomography (CT) heart scan:
How does olive oil affect heart health?
Americans should follow a heart healthy diet that replaces saturated fat calories with calories from either complex carbohydrates (CHO)--principally contributed by fruits, vegetables and whole grains--protein and/or unsaturated fat (like olive oil). A diet rich in monounsaturated fat, and reduced in refined CHO may also be effective in reducing serum triglycerides (TG) without adverse impact on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C).
What are the signs of heart valve disease (valvular heart disease)?
During physical examination for valvular heart disease, physicians will screen for the following:
See all Heart Disease questions
- Heart murmurs (abnormal heart sounds caused by abnormal blood flow)
- Fluid in the lungs
- Enlarged heart size on examination of the chest
- Distended neck veins
- Swollen liver
- Abnormal heart rate or rhythm