One of the most important things is for you to be aware of symptoms of cardiovascular disease, such as heart attack or stroke. Other symptoms include chest pain, being short of breathe, muscle cramps or leg pain, fatigue, weakness, and numbness. It is also important for your loved one to take their heart medication regularly to prevent additional problems. Helping to monitor physical activity and diet, enabling the person to relax, and encouraging them to stop smoking are also important.
Manoj B. Shukla, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine
- internal medicine
- pulmonary & respiratory medicine
Location and Office HoursCitrus Pulmonary Consultants
5616 W Norvell Bryant
Crystal River, FL 34429
- BC/BS of Florida/Health Options
- Citrus Memorial Hospital
- Seven Rivers Regional Medical Center
How do I care for someone with cardiovascular disease?
Piedmont Heart Institute answered
Are there other names for renal artery disease?
Yes, there are several other terms that describe blockages in the arteries to the kidneys. Some of these are:
- Renovascular disease
- Renovascular hypertension
- Ischemic nephropathy
- Renal artery stenosis, or RAS
What happens if my test results show I may have chronic kidney disease?
National Kidney Foundation answeredIf your test results show that you may have chronic kidney disease, your doctor will want to pinpoint your diagnosis and check your kidney function to help plan your treatment. The doctor may do the following:
See all Kidney Disease questions
- Calculate your glomerular filtration rate (GFR), which is the best way to tell how much kidney function you have. You do not need to have another test to know your GFR. Your doctor can calculate it from your blood creatinine, your age, body size and gender. Your GFR tells your doctor your stage of kidney disease and helps the doctor plan your treatment.
- Perform an ultrasound or CT scan to get a picture of your kidneys and urinary tract. This tells your doctor whether your kidneys are too large or small, whether you have a kidney stone or tumor and whether there are any problems in the structure of your kidneys.
- Perform a kidney biopsy, which is done in some cases to check for a specific type of kidney disease, see how much kidney damage has occurred and help plan treatment. To do a biopsy, the doctor removes small pieces of kidney tissue and looks at them under a microscope.