The basis of psoriasis is a genetic predisposition to develop the condition. It is hypothesized that, in a susceptible individual, something triggers psoriasis to break out. We do not always know what the triggers are, but in some cases, bacterial or viral infections may be the cause.
Linda M. Ameri, MD
Location and Office HoursLinda M Ameri MD
Framingham, MA 01702
- BlueCross BlueShield of Massachusetts
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- Tufts Health Plan
- MetroWest Medical Center Framingham Union Hospital
- MetroWest Medical Center Leonard Morse Hospital
How does the psoriasis start?
Jeffrey Weinberg, MD, Dermatology, answeredHelpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What is chronic eczema?
Larry Chiaramonte, MD, Allergy / Immunology, answeredEczema, like many other diseases, has a way of escalating from an acute condition (that is, one whose symptoms are short-lived) into a chronic one as patients seek short-term relief from annoying symptoms. Since the major problem is that the skin loses water and becomes very itchy, the scratching that follows allows the infection to penetrate deeper. The skin becomes inflamed to fight the infection which provokes more itching, more scratching, and further damage to the skin, allowing more water to escape and on and on.
What products should I use to keep my skin healthy and beautiful?
The following is a list of must haves for optimum skin beauty.
- A gentle daily cleanser
- Two good moisturizers -- one for day use with sunscreen (SPF 30+) and another for night use
- If necessary: anti-acne washes and formulas, exfoliants, antioxidant serums, retinoid/retinol formulas
The key is to find what works for you personally.
From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.
See all Plaque Psoriasis questions