Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps elevate mood. The brain produces it when the body perceives sunlight. For people whose serotonin levels need to be regulated, a class of anti-depressants called SSRIs keep higher levels of serotonin in the bloodstream.
Lee A. Solomon, MD
Location and Office HoursBehavioral Health Associates PC
Chattanooga, TN 37421
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- Tricare/Humana Military Healthcare
- United Healthcare
- Erlanger Baroness Campus
- Erlanger North Hospital
- HealthSouth Chattanooga Rehabilitation Hospital
- Memorial Hospital
- Memorial North Park Hospital
- Siskin Hospital for Physical Rehabilitation
What is serotonin?
Discovery Health answeredHelpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do low-glycemic vegetables protect and promote brain health?
David Perlmutter, MD, Neurology, answeredLow-glycemic vegetables, which grow above ground, protect and promote brain health because they are fiber and nutrient-dense. In this video, neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, explains why these colorful vegetables should be included in your diet.
What are sensory integration issues?
Sensory integration issue is a disorder where one experiences a wide range of difficulties when processing input coming from a variety of senses (sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell).
There are 3 types of sensory integration issues.
See all Brain and Nervous System questions
- Sensory modulation disorder: Individual over responds or under responds to a sensory stimulus.
- Sensory-based motor disorder: Individual has postural or coordination problems.
- Sensory discrimination disorder: Individual has incorrect processing of visual and hearing stimuli.