Joel M. Lerner, DPM
Location and Office HoursFoot & Ankle Physicians
Union, NJ 07083
- BlueCross BlueShield
- Empire BlueCross BlueShield
- First Health
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- Horizon BlueCross BlueShield
- United Healthcare
- Bayonne Medical Center
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center
What causes anterior ankle impingement?
The ankle joint is primarily composed of two bones, the tibia (shinbone) and a small bone between the shin and the heel, the talus. When the foot is pointed or flexed, the ankle is compressed at the joint. Pain can result if tissue becomes trapped between the bones. Anterior impingement, at the front of the ankle, can occur from a bad or repeated ankle sprain as the ligaments thicken and get pinched between the bones.
What should I check for when my child wears the clubfoot brace?
• Check the brace area for blisters or red areas on the skin.
• Check the heels and ankles for any signs that the brace or shoes do not fit well.
• Call your child’s doctor if any of these things occur.
What is noninsertional Achilles tendinitis?
The Achilles tendon is the largest tendon in the body, connecting the calf muscles to the heel bone. When it becomes inflamed or degenerates due to overuse or injury, the Achilles tendon can become swollen and painful at the heel or along the back of the leg. In noninsertional Achilles tendinitis, fibers in the middle portion of the tendon begin to break down with tiny tears.
See all Joint Health questions