Jeffrey G. Deppen, DO
Location and Office HoursLansing Surgical Associates, P.L.L.C.
2720 S Washington
Lansing, MI 48910
- Blue Care Network of Michigan (BCN)
- Health Plan of Michigan
- McLaren Health Plan
- Eaton Rapids Medical Center
- Ingham Regional Medical Center, Greenlawn Campus
- Ingham Regional Orthopedics Hospital
What are scabs made of?
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredThe key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scraped, you bleed. As blood is exposed to air, platelets rush to the scene and begin sticking together. They work with proteins called fibrin and other substances to form a scab, which is basically a blood clot on the skin.
What herbs should I avoid before surgery?
Robin Miller, MD, Integrative Medicine, answeredSome herbs can cause dangerous side effects, especially if taken before surgery. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller reveals eight dangerous herbs to avoid if you are going to have an operation.
What are surgical treatments for neck and low back pain?
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital answered
In people who have not responded to less invasive treatment, who have an identifiable structural abnormality that can be effectively corrected, or who have chronic severe pain, nerve damage, and loss of bladder and bowel control, doctors consider neck or back surgery. Common surgical procedures for neck and back pain include:
- Microdiscectomy: In some people a herniated disc can be surgically repaired to restore the normal anatomic structure.
- Discectomy or laminectomy: In these procedures the disc that is causing pain or the bone placing pressure on the spinal cord is removed.
- Spinal fusion: In this procedure surgeons stabilize the vertebrae using metallic devices and bone from another part of the body, a bone bank, or artificial bone.
Surgical innovations include:
See all Bone & Joint Injuries questions
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery: Many spinal procedures can be performed with less injury to muscle, ligaments, and bone with equal or even better outcomes.
- Computer navigation for spine surgery: Advancements in intraoperative imaging and navigation systems make spine surgery safer.
- Artificial disc implantation: Artificial discs are designed to provide support for the vertebrae while permitting a range of motion.