There are a few important points to consider if you decide to try topical pain relievers.
- Discuss this option with your doctor before using any analgesic; the fact that they are available without a prescription does not mean they are harmless.
- Purchase products that do not have an offensive odor and are not too messy. If it is unpleasant to use, chances are that you won't use it.
- Never place any topical medication over an open wound or sore.
- Buy products from reputable companies. Some over-the-counter topical analgesics have been found to have inert or even harmful substances.
- Wash your hands after using the topical agent to prevent accidental spreading to your mucous membranes, such as your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Find out more about this book:The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)