Acromegaly is not very common. It is a rare condition that affects about 60 in every million people. However, because acromegaly symptoms develop slowly over many years, they can be difficult to notice so more people may have the condition than these numbers suggest. In fact, many doctors may not immediately recognize symptoms of the disease because it is so rare.
J Matthew. Glascock, MD
- bariatric medicine
Location and Office HoursCovenant Clinic Minimally Invasive Surgical Weight Loss Center
516 Division St Ste 110
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
- BlueCross BlueShield
- BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois
- Coventry Health Care
- Great-West Healthcare Cigna
- Health Alliance
- United Healthcare
- Wellmark BlueCross BlueShield
- Covenant Medical Center
- Sartori Memorial Hospital
How common is acromegaly?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI) answered
What are signs of infection?
American Red Cross answered
- You usually will be able to recognize the early signs of infection. The area around the wound becomes swollen and red.
- The area may feel warm or throb with pain. Some wounds discharge pus.
- Serious infections may cause a person to develop a fever and feel ill.
- Red streaks may develop that progress from the wound toward the heart. If this happens, the infected person should seek immediate professional medical attention.
What are hand surgeons?
Healthwise answeredHand surgeons are orthopedic surgeons (medical doctors who specialize in bone, muscle and joint surgery) or plastic surgeons who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of hand problems and injuries. Hand surgeons can be board-certified through the Boards of Surgery or Orthopedic Surgery, which are recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© Healthwise, Incorporated.
See all Bone & Joint Injuries questions