Evidence shows that children with higher IQs are more likely to become vegetarians by age 42. This has been supported in the UK; however, the data in the United States does not support this assertion.
Indra S Gatiwala, MD
- sleep medicine
Location and Office HoursNeurology Center Of Lumberton
Lumberton, NC 28358
- BC/BS of North Carolina
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare CIGNA
- PARTNERS National Health Plans
- United Healthcare
- Southeastern Regional Medical Center
- What is the relationship between high IQ and vegetarianism?
What determines how fast nerve impulses travel?
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredOne important factor is the amount of myelin, the cover over nerve fibers, which is made up of DHA or docosahexaenoic acid. Watch the animation to learn more about myelin and DHA.
What is neuroplasticity?
David Hanscom, MD, Neck & Spine Surgery, answeredNeuroplasticity is the term that refers to the ability of the brain to adapt and change. Unless your brain is appropriately stimulated, this is not necessarily a positive process. Several of the ways it can occur are:
See all Brain and Nervous System questions
- Growth of new nerve cells (neurons)
- Shrinking of neurons from disuse
- Increasing or decreasing the number of connections per neuron
- Laying down or losing layers of insulation (myelin). This layer improves the speed of nerve conduction
- Substitution of an injured part of the brain with an already functioning area. The new area takes on new capacities