Carpal tunnel syndrome is the result of a compressed median nerve. This means that for one of a variety of reasons, something puts pressure on the nerve that runs down the palm side of the wrist. The median nerve is connected to the first three fingers on each hand, so when it's compressed, nerve signals to those fingers are damaged. This results in a tingling sensation or numbness that can eventually cause the muscles in the wrists and hands to weaken. If it's untreated, the nerve and muscle damage may be permanent.
Greg P. Watchmaker, MD
Specialty: Hand Surgery
- hand surgery
- orthopedic surgery
Location and Office HoursThe Milwaukee Hand Center
1535 W Market
Thiensville, WI 53092
- Anthem Blue Cross of Wisconsin
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Humana Health Plan
- Aurora St Luke's Medical Center
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- Columbia St Mary's Women's Hospital
- Columbia St Mary's, Ozaukee Campus
- Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin
How does carpal tunnel syndrome affect the body?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI) answered
How do I know if my child's cut needs a plastic surgeon?
Stuart Linder, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered
If in any doubt about the severity, extent, and need for a plastic surgeon for your child's laceration, REQUEST ONE! Full thickness lacerations in visible locations, especially along the face should be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic surgeon if available. Fine suturing may be required to reduce future scarring. Cuts or lacerations along the mouth, periorbital, or nasal area should often be repaired by the plastic surgeon. Smaller lacerations, that are NOT full thickness, may be cleaned and closed by emergency physicians at their discretion. Remember, if in any doubt, request a plastic surgeon if you are uncertain and if available.
When should I seek emergency help for an abrasion?
RealAge answeredReasons to seek emergency help for an abrasion (scrape):
See all Joint Health questions
- The abrasion is very dirty or messy. A professional will need to clean it thoroughly, especially if it contains embedded gravel or other foreign material. A thorough cleaning, which is necessary to reduce the chance of scarring or infection, may require pain-reducing medications.
- The abrasion is the result of a serious injury or an accident.