An Internal Medicine doctor is trained in the medical specialty of Internal Medicine. Many doctors thus trained practice primary care medicine. Others go on to training in sub-specialties such as endocrinology, gastroenterology or cardiology.
Gaurang C. Zala, MD
Specialty: Family Medicine
Location and Office HoursWell Group Health Partners
3700 W 203rd
Olympia Fields, IL 60461
- BC/BS of Illinois (BCI)
- Blue Advantage (BC/BS of Illinois)
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare CIGNA
- HMO Illinois (BC/BS of IL)
- Harmony/Wellcare Health Plan
- Health Alliance Medical Plan
- Humana Health Plan
- Medical Associates Health Plan
- PersonalCare Insurance of Illinois
- Union Health Service
- United Healthcare
- Silver Cross Hospital
- St James Hospital & Health Center Olympia Fields
- St James Hospital & Health Centers Chicago Heights
- What is an internal medicine doctor?
What kind of training do internal medicine doctors have?
Internal Medicine doctors, or Internists, are trained to prevent, diagnose, and treat illness in adults. Internal Medicine is the fundamental base of medical training that many other specialties build on.
What should I keep in mind while looking for a doctor?
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredThere are state and federal programs designed to help you find a doctor, but the key is to choose the right physician. During your first visit, there are key questions to consider. When you go to their office, do the other patients … look like you? Are the doctors board certified? Do they get along with the staff? If you get along with them, that person becomes your health coach. Because, remember, the word doctor means teacher, so it's a two-way street. If you come up with the right person, you're on the right path.
See all Healthcare Basics questions