It is important to select a doctor who is board certified in the specialty they practice. Board certification does not assure you the doctor is excellent, but it does assure you he/she has had appropriate training by having completed at an approved residency of at least three years and passed an exam.
Gaurang C. Zala, MD
Specialty: Family Medicine
Location and Office HoursWell Group Health Partners
3700 W 203rd
Olympia Fields, IL 60461
- BC/BS of Illinois (BCI)
- Blue Advantage (BC/BS of Illinois)
- CIGNA HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare CIGNA
- HMO Illinois (BC/BS of IL)
- Harmony/Wellcare Health Plan
- Health Alliance Medical Plan
- Humana Health Plan
- Medical Associates Health Plan
- PersonalCare Insurance of Illinois
- Union Health Service
- United Healthcare
- Silver Cross Hospital
- St James Hospital & Health Center Olympia Fields
- St James Hospital & Health Centers Chicago Heights
- Is a doctor board certified in a specific field of medicine?
How can I determine if a doctor will be focused on wellness and prevention?
Doctors are increasingly concerned about promoting information on wellness and prevention. However, many doctors are not well-trained in these fields and many doctors may not have the time or interest to provide this information. You, as a patient, however, have every right to expect and demand it.
How can I determine if other doctors will be on call with my doctor?
Doctors in solo practice cannot be on call 24/7/365 so, typically, they will have an arrangement with other doctors to “cover” for their patients when they are not available. Most doctors practice in large or small groups these days so, of course, they cover for each other.
See all Healthcare Basics questions