Gaurang C. Zala, MD
Specialty: Family Medicine
Location and Office HoursWell Group Health Partners
3700 W 203rd St
Olympia Fields, IL 60461
- Silver Cross Hospital
- St James Hospital & Health Center Olympia Fields
- St James Hospital & Health Centers Chicago Heights
What can I do to improve my family's diet?
JJ Virgin, Health Education, answered"Lateral shifts" provide a great opportunity to upgrade your family's favorite meals. Maybe your kid wants meatloaf and mashed potatoes. You can upgrade to grass-fed beef and have faux-tatoes (mashed cauliflower). Be creative and every meal becomes a lateral-shift opportunity.Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are some of the reasons many women feel compelled to diet?
Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Administration, answered
There are various reasons:
- Television, billboards, fashion magazines, and even medical information often encourage us to internalize weight-based stereotypes.
- Modeling agencies consider size 10 to be "plus size," though the average American woman wears a size 12.
- We often hear advertisements enticing us to be good (eat salad) or be bad (eat cake), as if our worth as individuals can be measured by the foods we choose.
- Even medical and insurance charts listing heights and weights do not take into consideration the natural variations in body size. As a result, food often elicits feelings of guilt, indulgence, and fear.
Find out more about this book:Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era
Buy bookHelpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do I hold on to my dream of having a fit, healthy body?
Mel Mueller - Sharecare Fitness Expert, Fitness, answered
Having a fit, healthy body does not have to be a dream. Once you figure out how to live the fit life, then your dream can become your reality. First of all, you need to learn to control your calories. This is the number one problem people face. If you are unsure of approximately how many calories you need in a day – try this simple trick of taking your goal weight and multiply it by 10. For example, if you want to weigh 140 pounds – your calorie goal each day should be 1400 calories!
Next you need to learn to fit movement into your regular routine. You can do this by adding simple things into your day like:
- 10,000 steps! You can simply add more steps in each day by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking around your couch while you watch TV.
- Add exercise into your day by doing things like lunges down the hall or getting up from your desk every hour to do a set of 20 squats.
Remember that each day is limitless, flawless, and holds unlimited potential……it is your choices in each moment that will shape your dreams and help turn them into your real life. Simple adjustments really add up and will have you on your way to your dream of having a fit, healthy body.Helpful? 4 people found this helpful.
See all Infectious Disease questions