Protect your peepers with a vision-ary diet! Our eyes require multiple nutrients to function optimally. Start with these:
- Vitamins A, C and E and minerals like copper and zinc are essential to eyesight.
- Antioxidants, including beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, protect the macula from sun damage. Get these antioxidants from dark leafy greens, egg yolks, yellow peppers, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and carrots. Notice any color patterns here? Current research shows that consuming yellow and green vegetables can help prevent age-related macular generation, a leading cause of blindness.
- Foods rich in sulfur, cysteine and lecithin help protect the lens of your eye from cataract formation. Excellent choices include garlic, onions, shallots and capers.
- Anthocyanin-rich blueberries, grapes and goji berries have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help improve your vision.
- DHA is a fatty acid found in coldwater fish like wild salmon, sardines, mackerel and cod. DHA provides structural support to cell membranes to boost eye health.