If diagnosed with functional dyspepsia (FD) -- persistent upper abdominal pain or discomfort for which there is no identifiable cause -- you may have to perform lifestyle modifications.
Make good eating choices
- Avoid foods that trigger symptoms.
- Eat small portions and avoid overeating.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Chew your food slowly and completely.
- Avoid activities that result in swallowing excess air, such as smoking, eating quickly, chewing gum, and drinking carbonated beverages.
- Don't lie down within two hours of eating.
- Keep your weight under control.
- Use stress reduction techniques, including relaxation therapies, cognitive behavioral therapy, or exercise.
- Get enough rest.
- Go to bed and get up at the same times each day.
- Avoid caffeine after noon.
- Perform aerobic exercise three to five times a week for 20 to 40 minutes per session.
- Don't exercise immediately after eating.