Scars left by plastic surgeons are less visible because, when possible, plastic surgeons orient the scar along a normal wrinkle line or hide it in a natural crease, like the fold between the cheek and the upper lip. Then, the skin is surgically lifted right off of the fat to break the stretch of the skin. Then, the skin is closed in 2 layers: dissolving stitches underneath and fine stitches or glue superficially. And voila! 95% of the time, scars look good. The other 5%? You can't fight your genes...But the chance of having a good quality scar, one that is hard to see, increases if your doc follows these rules.
B Donald. Sklansky, MD
Specialty: Plastic Surgery
Location and Office HoursB Donald Sklansky MD FACS
833 Northern Blvd Ste 240
Great Neck, NY 11021
- Glen Cove Hospital
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Mercy Medical Center
- North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset
- St Francis Hospital The Heart Center
- Syosset Hospital
- Winthrop University Hospital
How do plastic surgeons avoid leaving scars?
Arthur Perry, MD, Plastic Surgery, answered
How can I find a plastic surgeon in Chicago area for my nose?
Stuart Linder, MD, Plastic Surgery, answeredWhether looking for a plastic surgeon in Chicago, Beverly Hills or New York, these are several steps that a patient can do. First, the patient should find a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon when considering body sculpting procedures. If considering rhinoplasty, the doctor should be either certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery, training in otolaryngology or a plastic surgeon who is a Diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Looking on the Internet certainly is helpful in this Chicago-based area in order to find facial plastic surgeons or board certifiend plastic surgeons. Make sure you look at hundreds, if not thousands, of before and after photographs and ask a multitude of questions, including board certification, accreditation of the ambulatory center and board certification of the anesthesiologist. Lastly, make sure that the surgeon specializes in this specific operation that you hope to undertake.
At what age can I start getting cosmetic facial enhancements?
Stuart Linder, MD, Plastic Surgery, answeredPatients often are seen in their early thirties for injectables, with more invasive cosmetic facial surgeries performed in the mid-fourties to early fifties. Fine wrinkles around the eyes referred to as crows feet, and animation lines of the forehead may be treated with Botox in the mid thirties. Injectables such as Restylane, Perlane, and Juvaderm are useful for patients in the later thirties and early fourties. Facelifts and neck lifts are performed on patients in their later fourties and early fifties.
See all Cosmetic Surgery questions